The Director, Engineering is responsible for assigned projects in a Project Manager (PM) capacity or provides Project Engineering (PE) assistance to other PM on Moda’s projects during all stages and is accountable for either the schedule, capex, quality and HSSE of the project in the case of PM or is accountable for the Technical Quality in case of the PE role. In addition, s/he will have responsibility for delivering quality estimates (from +/- 40% to +/- 20% accurate) for business development projects in close alignment with the Project Developer and the Internal Customer.
Essential Job Functions
- Set up the project organization structure, lead the project team and manage work allocation to ensure smooth project implementation.
- Formally lead the Project Team from Identification to Evaluation Stage.
- Ensure assigned projects are executed in full alignment with the project definition documents, to realize the project outcomes in a safe, efficient, and controlled manner.
- Apply the appropriate project management procedure, methods, elements, and tools to successfully execute the project.
- Identify, assess, and mitigate project risks, to manage and minimize risk exposure.
- Monitor and control the progress of the project with regards to scope, costs, timelines, and internal standards, to ensure that the project specifications and approved parameters are met.
- Manage scope, cost and staff in the Identification, Selection and Definition, Execution Stages.
- Set up the project baseline, consisting of schedule, cost, and scope. Review and finalize the assigned project baselines.
- Develop functional requirements/Basis of Design (BoD) in close coordination with Project Developer and Internal Customer.
- Develop and agree on detailed project scope definition (including HSS&E, quality, cost, and time)
- Implement and realize the project objectives and key deliverables in close cooperation with the Project Developer and Internal Customer.
- Manage and monitor the project (based on key indicators) to stay within the approved boundaries of scope, cost and schedule, and seeks approval for deviations during detail engineering, construction, commissioning and start up.
- Communicate with authorities & assist contractor with permit applications.
- Initiate and monitor the master project schedule up to FID.
- Provide continuity and coordination of the engineering, procurement, and construction functions supporting the project from the Identification Stage through project startup and Evaluation Stage; Provide support on issues, review and approval of detailed engineering documents and vendor packages.
- Ensure that the latest knowledge and best practices from within Company and industry are incorporated in the project.
- Ensure full compliance to minimum technical, local regulations and operational standards.
- 10 or more years of experience managing projects of increasing scope and expense.
- Leadership experience of large company and contract workforce project teams (i.e., 50-100+).
- Project controls accountability of $50M or more.
- Experience in liquid storage tank and pipeline construction preferred.
- B.S. in Chemical, Petroleum, Mechanical, Civil or Electrical Engineering
All Company Core Competencies as well as the following job specific competencies:
- Managing and Measuring
- Managerial Agility
This position requires an employee to be in an office environment as well as occasional exposure to outside elements. Employee must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required by the location. General office noise may be experienced and louder sounds and vibrations when outside. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. All environments are safe with appropriate PPE.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, sit, speak and hear. The employee is required to stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; the employee may be required, on occasion, to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Employee may be required to travel by air, rail, bus, or car.